12.08.2006

skipping out of work can lead to good things



...such as you happen to be listening to the radio at just the right time to find out that a living legend is going to be performing right down the street tonight.

It may be 20 degrees outside in Durham tonight, but the stage at Baldwin Auditorium is going to be hot...

UPDATE--So it was predictably great.

This was actually a Duke Jazz Ensemble concert, so the first half was just them (for a student group, they are quite good). There was an intermission, and Louie just came out on stage to re-set the drums to his liking. A few people--mostly kids--came up to the stage to take his picture while he was doing it. He would look up when they did and give them a big grin.

The thing is, he moves pretty much like you'd expect an 82 year old man to move. Not at all feeble, but a little bent over, and very slow and deliberate in his movements.

Until he starts playing. But what I found facsinating is that he doesn't play like he's 25--he plays like someone with 8 decades of experience. Effortless. Nothing to prove. Pure economy of motion, his hands just gliding from drum to cymbal to hi-hat and back again. And so smooth. Whenever he ended a solo, and started into his trademark hi-hat shuffle (doo-dicka-doo-dicka-doo) to bring the band back in, he had the exact same grin on his face that you see in pictures going way back. At one point he was using two sticks in his right hand, and he occasionally busted out some double bass chops that would give Dave Lombardo a run for his money.

Just amazing. And an absolute class act--he recognized every one of the student soloists by name before and after they played. See him if you ever get the chance.

4 comments:

Kyle said...

Wow - that is amazing.

When I was in college, I went to our library and checked out a bunch of jazz CDs for the purpose of piracy ala 90 minute tapes.

Louise Bellson was one of the best of the bunch. He had this one song. Dang - now I am going to have to see if I can find it. I'll send it to you if I do.

Kyle said...

I just remembered. I saw him live with Mercer Ellington conducting the Duke Ellington Orchestra. My second jazz concert.

It was awesome.

Brian said...

Yeah, I can't wait. I mean, the dude played with pretty mych anyone you can think of from Count Basie on.

Tickets for Duke students are $5. And I was able to buy one today.

Kids...

Anonymous said...

at his age?
amazing...

and too cool.