11.11.2006

some balls were meant to be dropped

OK--back to what matters.

M took me to the Tech-Carolina game today for my birthday present (it's not for another week, but no one asked me when they made the football schedule.)

It was great to see a win, but I have to say that as wins go, it felt pretty hollow. Like I imagine besting a senior citizen at arm wrestling might feel. Or perhaps beating a one-legged man in a footrace.

It's nothing to brag about, is what I'm saying.

I can't express in words how happy I am that next year our QB will someone--anyone--other than Reggie "Huck the" Ball. Seriously. That kid is overthrowing at the end of his senior season every bit as bad as when Gailey started him the first game of his freshman year. He could chalk it up to nerves then, but against an utterly anemic Carolina today, there's just no getting around it: Georgia Tech this year is living proof that a good quarterback is not a prerequisite to a winning football season. I guess it's great that Tashard Choice got showcased so well (32 carries!) but Calvin Johnson's talent is utterly wasted on Ball's incompetence. A halfway decent QB would put Johnson in the running for the Heisman. I mean, let's get real--they refer to him as a "Heisman candidate" to be polite. No one gets the Heisman after getting 13 yards against arguably the worst team in the conference.

On the plus side, Tech did a great job converting 3rd downs, and their red zone defense was brutal (2 interceptions in the endzone). And I'm really looking forward to seeing Tech play in the first ACC championship game.

But at the moment, I am dreading the trip to Athens.

4 comments:

chris said...

Georgia would have definitely beaten yesterday's Tech team.

It's pretty bad when after the first drive you have to say, "Oh, it's that Reggie today."

Where's the "Champ's Sports Bowl Reggie" when you need him? You'd think that after starting for 4 years, he'd show up every game.

Kyle said...

"arguably?"

Brian said...

There's always Duke.

Kyle said...

Ah yes. Tis true.

I honestly think Duke is the better team this year.