3.04.2007

non-linebacker w/ BMI of 29 runs sub-45-min 10k, credits new iPod

That's right. I finally bought an iPod today (quit snickering).

It isn't my first mp3 player. In fact, it's my 4th. The first two were such pieces of garbage I killed them in < 6 months each. The third has held up so long that it kind of got obnoxious...since I couldn't really justify getting "the real thing" until I wrecked it, too. Nearly two years later, it still works, though the LCD display has seen better days.

What actually spurred me to action was that I had bought a bunch of workout music off iTunes without realizing that they sell mp4 files, which means my little Lyra might as well have been an 8-track. I'd been downloading from Rhapsody, but I decided to try out iTunes for a change. Rhapsody is still worth $10/mo for unlimited streaming, but for downloading, iTunes selection is better. They've definitely cornered the market on Scandinavian death metal, I can tell you that. Also, they have Lacuna Coil, which I realize is probably something that 14-year-old goth chicks listen to, but whatever, I like it. (They're kind of like Evanescence, but, you know, good.)

Anyway, I got a second generation Shuffle (a gold one) and am happy to report that built-in clip held up to the titular run, clipped onto my waistband. No more arm bands to absorb my, ahem, natural perfume. The earbuds stayed in the whole time, and the sound quality is fantastic.

The one thing I would recommend is to never put it in your pocket, b/c is so small (about the size of a hotel matchbook) that it would be very easy to leave it in your pants and send through the laundry. You may think you are too smart to do this--bully for you--but I did this to my passport once and those things cost more than an iPod Shuffle nowadays.

Where was I? Oh, yeah...6.2 miles in 44:28. It felt great. And it should leave me nice and stiff for my first yoga class tomorrow night.

5 comments:

Gino said...

yoga?
that is sooo gay.

Brian said...

I don't know, man...usually, I'm "pumping iron" in a room full of big, sweaty guys who grunt a lot and breathe heavily.

If my class in any way typical, I'll be stretching out in a room full of lithe young women. If anything, this'll be the least gay workout I've had in a long time...

Anonymous said...

Brian - here is the super secret trick for converting those nasty Mp4's. Get yerself a CD-RW or CD-R disc. Burn an audio CD of the album in question using iTunes. And then rip the CD back into Itunes (after specifying that you like your rips in MP3 format thanks very much.)

I bet Arthur is pissed I beat him to it.

If I ever mountain bike again, I will be getting one of those little Shuffles.

So dang cute.

Brian said...

Thanks...I figured there was a workaround, but this gave me the excuse to do what I wanted to anyway.

(Thanks also for the tunes BTW)

Yoga kicked my ass tonight. Apparently, I am to flexibility what George W. Bush is to erudition.

Brian said...

lol