6.27.2007

do u like me?

I sent out something called a "resume" earlier today. I kind of stumbled across a job posting that I may by some cosmic coincidence be almost qualified for despite the fact that I have been squireled away in various laboratories for the past eight years working on experiments that maybe a couple of hundred people on earth would really understand--much less care about--and, it isn't a research job!!!

(It is a job where knowing a thing or two about biology would come in handy...)

And I'm already checking my email obsessively to see if anyone cares. I'm giddy and terrified at the prospect of doing SOMETHING ELSE for a living. I had to take a long walk right after I hit "send". Just like that, I'm back in 7th grade, and I just sent Ashley Johnson* a note to (ahem) probe her possible feelings towards me. 4th period English is a complete wash today, is what I'm saying.

Man it is weird to be doing this for the first time in my life at damn near thirty.



*You don't actually think I'm going to use her real name, do you?

3 comments:

Caroline said...

terrific! i hope ashley writes you back :)

RW said...

brian - I've been sending resumes out for a month and have really stretched the boundaries of my experience with some of the places I went for. It could be just the thing for you! Though you realize that I think research is the most important stuff going no matter if just two people know about it.

Brian said...

rw--I know, I have been watching with interest but refraining from comment.

I have to say it is a good exercise to view oneself through the lens of a potential employer. Especially when you are trying to do something completely different. I actually feel a bit better about what I've done with myself the past few years, now that I have been forced to take a broader view of the things I've learned (i.e., it isn't just about this project or that one, but about problem-solving, analysis, and communication.)

More than anything, I really feel like I *need* to be streching the boundaries of my experience.