6.20.2006

'tis the season for traveling

...and the good Dr. McCracken has some world-class advice. It's geared towards the young consultant, but contains some good general principles for international travel, such as:

There are lots of things they don't tell you in b-school. The single most valuable object for the business traveler, for instance. You and I know this is a book of hotel matches. But the young consultant...not so much.

Eventually, in a medium size town in China, our YC (young consultant) decides it's time to go for a walk. Normally, our YC has a pretty good sense of direction, but in this case he has a formidable case of jet lag, and he is more or less disoriented. A couple of wrong turns, and now heÂ’s not sure. Is he walking towards the hotel or a way from it? Never mind. He can just ask someone, right? Well, not if no one speaks English. And not, especially, if he can't remember the name of his hotel.


That's rule # 2, which I will admit I haven't thought of or practiced. Of course, every place I've been I've been comfortable enough with the local language to get by alright. But then again, I haven't been to China...

I always follow #1 (hotel soaps are inevitably girly), try to follow #3 (I pack as light as I can, usually), never had much use for the other rule #3 (what's Spanish for "consierge", anyway?), and I found #4 to be especially worthwhile in pickpocket-laden Paris. Fortunately, I haven't had to deal with #5, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time...