9.01.2006

i need help




It's 2:30 on a Friday afternoon.

I'm waiting for a PDF to build for a paper I'm submitting revisions on, a piece of work that I've been plucking away at for nearly 2 years and I am so close to getting it published I can taste the ink. I can't wait to hit "submit" and be done with it.

I need to finish a poster and get it to the printer before I leave today.

In 2 hours, I am going to my own going-away party, after 7+ years in the same research group.

This time next Friday, I'll be cleaning out my desk.

The day after that, I will finish cleaning out my house.

Two days after that, me, my wife, and our dog will be off on a 2300-mile trek to a new job, a new house, a new life. I have about 800 things to do between now and then.

And all I can really think about is the fact that Georgia Tech kicks off against Notre Dame in 26 hours and 28 minutes.

5 comments:

Kyle said...

I HEAR that.

Brian said...

Aye. I could abide Ball throwing a few 20 feet over his receiver's head when he was a frosh, but now...

...especially when that receiver is 6'5" with a 45" vertical...

Johnson is awesome, though. He looks like Moss out there. Even with Reggie's awful passing, he still put up 100+ yards. If Reggie were settle down, I think CJ could contend for the Heisman. But I'm not counting on it.

chris said...

What really pisses me off at the games is that a 4th year starting QB does a lot of things more indicative of a 2nd year starter.

1) looking to the sideline for every play call

2) overthrowing receivers on most plays, even the wide open guys

3) calling time outs when momentum is on our side because he can't think of what to do

Ball is no leader on the field and it's more apparent at the game than it is on TV. I was surprised Calvin caught as many as he did. Maybe he'll stick around for his senior year and we can get someone else to throw to him for a Heisman. He really is that good.

And about the ND game, I think I summed it up best at the game after a few bonehead calls by the refs. After a bogus late hit call that set ND up for a TD instead of a field goal and a review of a Johnson catch determined it uncaught, the ref said "There is indisputable evidence that the ball was dropped," I could only say that "There is indisputable evidence that the ref is an asshole."

Brian said...

Watching on TV, the officials seemed to be doing a pretty good job all around. They certainly weren't calling it all that tight, which I prefer. And a few of their calls were even of the "I can't believe they got that right" variety.

But they screwed the pooch on that review of Johnson's catch. There is NO WAY they could make that determination from the video. I'm not saying he absolutely caught it, but I certainly couldn't tell that he didn't from the video. The call should have stood.

chris said...

They must have video from inside the ball.