10.03.2006

random notes from the new digs

--The road signs in the Triangle are kind of funny...highways often don't give you much warning about what's coming up (it took me about half a dozen tries to master the Durham Freeway dead-ending just south of I-40) but yet, gigantic shopping malls visible from space often have small green and white road signs that say "SHOPPING CENTER -->" on the road in front of them.

--Speaking of malls, has anyone ever thought to call Raleigh "Malleigh"? If not, I would like to take credit for starting it. It's not as funny as "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees", but still, I think it's rather apt. (Yes, two weeks is all it took for me to immerse myself in intercity rivalries. Nothing makes you feel instantly invested like a mortgage.)

--I am still overwhelmed at the fact that we moved to an area that is notorious for being "suburban without an urb", that is filled with "subdivisions" and "developments", and yet we managed to land in a genuine "neighborhood". It's true--Durham kicks ass.

No comments: