2.06.2007

fitter, happier

Q--What do you get when you cross a lazy, one-size-fits-all approach to health asessment with a lazy, one-size-fits-all approach to education?

A--BMI report cards in the public schools!

The premise being, I suppose, that parents won't know that their children are fat unless the public schools tell them? If this is really the case, childhood obesity is the least of our problems.

What kills me here is that Gov. Beebe is right, but for the completely wrong reasons. The program should be opposed, because it is stupid on its face. However, the governor doesn't want to damage anyone's "self-esteem". (It's hard for me to even type that combination of words without gagging.) If anything, today's children (and many adults, ergo the problem with the children) need to have their self-esteem brought down a notch or two. If reality TV has taught us anything, it's that delusions of granduer are positively epidemic.

More to the point--dissatisfaction with oneself or one's station in life is what motivates people to become something better. It's a process that we ought not discourage, especially in our little sub-humans.

3 comments:

Gino said...

everybody is running around warning about all the fat kids, but nobody has a real life solution.

Brian said...

I do:

"Eat less, move more."

The rest is just details.

chris said...

I had an AP Chem student that once told me I was damaging their self-esteem. I think that was their exact words. I told them I could care less about their self-esteem, I was concerned about their education and that I was sorry that others before me were not.