2.27.2007

postdoctoral rant (part 23 of a never-ending series)

I just spent two days producing yet another set of data for the Journal of Unreproducible Results. This has been happening a lot lately. Promising data crushed by the realities of (non)replication.

I am reminded that there is a reason I carved out a niche for myself doing physiolgical measurements rather than this molecular biology voodoo shit that everyone and their sister seems to know how to do these days, and that you have to include if you want to get published...well, basically anywhere at this point. I'm tired of chasing smudges around, squinting real hard to see that the one on the right really is bigger and darker than the one on the left, if you just click your heels and believe. Like one of those magic eye pictures. And that it will be again when you do the same damn thing next week.

Please, dear god, give me a rate constant, a permeability coefficient, and a freaking procedure that I can see the bones of, because if I spend another 48 hours washing a piece of paper intermittantly to get a different answer every time I do it, I might as well spend that time playing the slots.

(kicks can)

In other news, I finished my book chapter, but it has to go through an internal review by my employer before I can send it out (I discovered this very late in the game).

In other other news, I thought of an idea for a novel last night, and I think I should pursue it. At this point, I think I have at least as much of a chance of making that work as anything I'm doing in my day job right now.

6 comments:

Gino said...

i can barely pronounce 'molecular biology', let alone understand what yer talking about, but writing a book? now that's a novel idea.

chris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brian said...

Hmmm. Indeed.

chris said...

I take it you haven't seen or remember much from Mallrats. It was a joke intended to relate to your 3D-stereogram references.

Brian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brian said...

Mallrats? I guess I didn't see that one. Or if I did I was (ahem) in no condition to form reliable memories at the time. The latter is probably more likely, actually.

I made 3D-sterogram references?