12.16.2007

podcast bleg

So my lab moved last week.

That's really no big deal, but an unpleasant outcome of this is that I've lost radio reception at my bench. (I'm in an interior space now. Very interior.) I didn't really appreciate how much the constant presence of NPR smoothed over those marathon sessions of benchwork that have become the norm for me lately.

I can stream all kinds of stuff at my desk...but that's in another room, and asking someone whose desk is in the lab to play stuff for me on their computer (and crank it up so I can hear it over the hood and incubators, please) seems a bit of an imposition.

However, I have rigged up a pair of computer speakers that I can plug my iPod into and it works quite nicely. So I am becoming a podcast geek.

Anyway, I've subscribed to all the NPR stuff I like, as well as other fairly obvious stuff (Scientific American, The New Yorker, Ricky Gervais) but I'm interested to know if anybody has come across anything I might not have heard of. I figure for the next few months I've got probably 25-30 hours a week where I am at the bench for very long periods, so I'm up for trying anything to fill the time.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

3 comments:

chris said...

There's bound to be a good one on homebrewing or just plain ol' beer in general.

Anonymous said...

There are tons of sports podcasts including a many of the shows on espn and feature hosts (PTI, around the horn, Bill Simmons). Many teams and newspapers have their own as well. Also, the scientist has a few (in case you need more science in your life). KCRW has one that gives you a new song/week. You can find most of itunes. Just search any topic and you're bound to find at least a couple.

Anonymous said...

Ohio State University's Astronomy department has posted their 161 and 162 lectures.

http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~pogge/Ast161/Audio/

http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~pogge/Ast162/Audio/Podcast.xml

Dr. Pogge is a awesome lecturer. I highly recommend his podcasts; they will provide hours and hours and hours of really fascinating listening.

I love to plug in my ear buds at night when I'm out camping and listen to his podcasts. They help me go to sleep--not that they're boring, I'm just saying...