8.17.2008

this week in media consumption

--Watched Brick on Netflix. It was one of those that got put in the queue probably ages ago (we're not even sure by whom) and it finally came up. A truly excellent outing by a rookie director (Rian Johnson) and a very young cast (with special appearance by the Shaftastic Richard Roundtree), Brick is a classic film noir, but set in a modern-day California high school. It could have been a lot of things: goofy, pretentious, too clever for its own good. But it isn't. And it left me looking forward to Johnson's next movie, The Brothers Bloom, out this fall.

--Go see Tropic Thunder. Not only to support satire, but also because it's really, really funny. I have to say that I really respect Ben Stiller; I don't always like his movies--point of fact, I detest a few of them--but the guy is fearless when it comes to comedy. He's not afraid of sucking. Which of course means that sometimes, he sucks. But when he pulls it off, it's really good. This is probably the funniest thing he's ever done. Downey is excellent, as always. Jack Black is nearly dead weight in this one, but he is mercifully not on screen much. But--and I hate myself for having to say this--Tom Cruise steals the show. Really.

--Last weekend we caught Pineapple Express, which I also enjoyed immensely. More good stuff from the alumni of Freaks and Geeks; also, between this and TT, I think I'm going to declare this the "Summer of Danny McBride".

2 comments:

Gino said...

now, go see hell ride.

i feel so cheap for liking this movie.

Unknown said...

Agreed on Brick. I saw it on a small TV and wonder what it would have been like on the big screen.

My Brick experience was perhaps different from that of many -- I knew/know little of film noir, and had never seen the Maltese Falcon in full. But I did see the Maltese Falcon soon afterward, and appreciated both movies all the more.

As for Tropic Thunder, I thought it was funny (and very funny whenever Tom Cruise was on screen) but I don't appreciate it nearly as much as those who have a greater interest in Hollywood and its ways. Though I would surely accept a can of Booty Sweat if offered.

And a satellite phone so I can send it to someone and then tell them to take a step back and go f*** himself.