9.08.2008

Dr. Henry (Hank) Yamamura



The field of pharmacology and The University of Arizona lost a giant this week. Dr. Hank Yamamura passed away after having fought cancer for quite some time.

Many (if not most) pharmacologists know Dr. Yamamura by his work, which is extensive, to put it mildly. I am fortunate to count myself among the (many, many) scientists who had Hank as a mentor; in 2000 he agreed to be on my dissertation committee, feigning reluctance and saying that this was probably going to be the last time he agreed to such a thing. (He subsequently sat on half a dozen other committees that I know of, and got at least two new grants funded.) He never failed to encourage, to praise, and to challenge.

He had a disarming sense of humor and a razor-sharp mind. During my oral qualifying exam, he asked me a question. I don't remember what it was; what I do remember is that he smiled and urged me onward as I unraveled an epic line of what I soon realized was complete and utter bullshit. He was watching my face carefully the whole time, waiting for the moment--after decades of doing this, he knew it was coming--when I would recognize the hole I had dug for myself for what it was. When it happened, he simply winked and nodded approvingly as I humbly asked if I could start over.

Hank also gave me my first opportunity to teach a real class, shortly after I had completed my PhD, which shows that even the great ones have momentary lapses of judgment.

He will be missed.

2 comments:

Marsosudiro said...

Thanks for the great tribute. I love hearing about people who are simultaneously great scientists and teachers. And a great person as well? Crazy trifecta of wonderful.

Good for you. Keep spreading the ripples, or maybe even amplifying before passing on.

RW said...

Wonderful post Brian. He sounds a lot like Bill Veeck, the guy who pushed me along. We should try and be that to younger kids coming up, I think that would be a great thing to be.