9.09.2008

mccain--dc native?

I noticed something odd in a report on NPR this morning. John McCain was giving a speech, and I'm pretty sure I heard him pronounce "Washington" as "Wershington", which, as I understand it, is exactly the way (Caucasian) people born and raised in DC say it (and almost no one else).

I'm vaguely sympathetic here--I pick up speech patterns and pieces of accents without even trying, and have occasionally been mistook for Canadian after living with one for six years, but--if you're trying to project the image of an "outsider", maybe you should try a little harder to avoid such an easily identifiable idiosyncrasy of the natives...

ADDENDUM--OK, to be fair, per his bio, he did go to high school in Alexandria.

2 comments:

Gino said...

he said somewhere, that prior to moving to AZ, the most he ever lived in any one place was his time in hanoi.

i believe it.

military kids of the upper echelon move around a lot.

Brian said...

I know...that's what makes his distinctly Washingtonian stand out, as far as I am concerned.