5.18.2007

adventures in rennovation

I swear to god just as soon as I finish re-finishing our kitchen cabinets I am going to invent the time machine so I can go back and beat the hell out of whoever invented shelf paper.

Seriously, what is the point? Is it to protect the wood (that, if you glue freaking paper onto it, you will never see again?) It surely isn't easier to clean than a nice, enamel or satin-finish painted (or stained and sealed) surface.

And did it never occur to anyone that there might come a time when blue and white flowers would not be a universally appealing aesthetic motif? The beauty of paint, you see, is that you can always paint over it.

Well, you can for about 60 years (the current age of our house) at which point the paint is about the thickness of a dime, and you really, really need to strip and sand if you ever want anything to close, ever. That's another thing.

No, I haven't been drinking. And by "no I haven't" I mean "yes I have" and by "drinking" I mean "inhaling large amounts of industrial strength paint stripper and lead paint dust. And drinking."

4 comments:

Gino said...

i use linoleum tile, the self stick type, as shelf paper.
always looks good, for years.
easy to wipe down, and it peels off easily.

Brian said...

OK, but...why do shelves need to be lined???

Gino said...

because it looks better?
and cleans up nicer?

RW said...

To give people something to blog about. Sheesh.