10.31.2007

justice

Let me make this absolutely clear:

I abhor violence. Physical confrontation is the tool of the weak-minded and the short-sighted. To intentionally harm another human being is the most despicable thing you can do. In fact, it is pretty much the one thing that I would consider to be 100%, absolutely, and objectively wrong.

But.

That doesn't mean violence is never justified...or at least excusable.

Beyond the obvious cases of self-defense and defense of the defenseless, I am fairly certain that seeing these bottom-dwellers at the funeral of someone I loved would inspire me--police protection notwithstanding--to do everything in my power to cause them physical pain. I think that would be worth spending a night in jail over.

This is probably not as immediately satisfying, but as justice goes, it's pretty good.

These are the kind of people that make me genuinely regret that I don't believe in Hell.

No comments: