10.22.2007

monday morning

This morning I had a dream in which I was asked to fill in for the head coach of the high school football team of the my old high school's cross-town rival. I spent a disconcertingly long period of time trying to figure out what to wear on the sideline (because though I was willing to coach the team, I was NOT wearing their colors) eventually deciding on a sort of updated Tom Landry look (similar hat, but just a sports coat sans tie rather than a suit). I remember being greeted by the opposing team in a narrow, sweaty corridor as we arrived (by train, like it was 1925 or something) in a strange small town for the game. Passing into the town square, I was confronted with a mural depicting the time in the town's history when Abraham Lincoln had briefly served as their mayor...from 2002 to 2004. Someone explained to me that it was a little-known fact that Mr. Lincoln was in fact our oldest living former president, and that he was the only president to have served as a mayor after the presidency. Now, they say most people can't do math or read in their dreams, but I do distinctly remember trying to calculate that that this would mean that Abraham Lincoln was at least 170 years old (in actuality, he would be 198) and thought that this was fairly amazing.

It wasn't until I woke up that I remembered that Lincoln had been assassinated in 1865.

Somehow, I think that work is going to seem less interesting today by comparison.

7 comments:

RW said...

Oh contrare - it just so happens he is still alive, a member of the Knights Templar, and one of the chief artists of the cover-up surrounding George Bush's plan to destroy the towers of the WTC. Ah hah!

Brian said...

By crackie, you could be on to something there. And here I thought it was just the week-old Afghan food I ate while watching football about an hour before going to sleep.

I really enjoy these vivid dreams when I have them. I just wish I could get Scarlet Johanson or Selma Hayek to show up instead of Honest Abe.

Gino said...

you want vivid dreams?
wear a nicotine patch to bed.
the 21mg, step 1 should work.
trust me on this.
just trust me.

chris said...

Was the cross-town rival the Lovejoy Fightin' Fairies? Or was it da' J-B, a la mural?

Brian said...

Actually, it was Morrow. Most of MZHS would have gone there had it not been built.

chris said...

So Hey Blinkin had a mural put up during his mayorship?

Brian said...

I think the townsfolk may have put it up after the fact.

At this point I'm just making shit up. But I am flattered by your interest in the details.