2.18.2008

black mountain

[m] and I went over to Chapel Hill last night to catch Black Mountain at Local 506.

Let me cut to the chase here...I know I have a few readers up the east coast and into eastern Canada. If this is you, go look at their tour calender and make some plans. Seriously, just do it.

This was the best live concert I've seen in any genre or venue in a long, long time. From the sludgy 7/4 opening of Stormy High to the thundering climax of Tyrants, and all the dreamy psychedelia in between, Black Mountain put on a flawless performance of some really, really great music.

Reading up on them, they are often classified as "stoner rock" which I suppose is a decent first approximation, but the term really doesn't do their music justice. While it is mostly down-tempo and bass-heavy, it lacks the repetitive-to-monotonous riffing that (I think) limits the appeal of bands like Queens of the Stone Age and Wolfmother. Black Mountain navigates between a downtuned early metal heaviness (think Black Sabbath), psychadelic synth work, well-executed interplay between male and female voices, and blistering arena rock guitar solos, all with a seamless musicianship that makes their sound much more than the sum of its constituents.

Or perhaps--70's prog rock without all the obnoxious noodling.

I don't know--I don't really feel like I'm doing it justice here either, so just check 'em out.

I guess the best endorsement I can give is this: typically, I go home from a show and want to quietly decompress with a book or a little TV before going to sleep. Last night, after a 20 minute drive home and with ears still ringing at 1AM, we cranked up the stereo and cracked a couple of beers. They left us wanting more.

(Thank goodness for federal holidays.)



4 comments:

Marsosudiro said...

Sadly, Black Mountain isn't my kind of rock. But I'm psyched that you've found a band to like as much as you do. Rockin' out at home post-concert is an excellent positive sign.

chris said...

Have you seen the Queens live? If not, don't knock it 'til you've tried it. QOTSA at The Tabernacle last October was probably the baddest ass rock concert I've ever attended. I needed super glue after the show because they rocked my cock off.

Brian said...

Well, I am certainly willing to believe you, but I just find their music a bit monotonous...

That said, I listened to Napalm Death while folding laundry this evening, so I'll be the first to admit that my musical tastes often don't translate to...well, anyone...

chris said...

They do like riffing it seems but at least it's people who can genuinely play their instruments and seem to enjoy doing so a hell of a lot. Most people think I'm weird when I say that QOTSA reminds me a lot of Black Sabbath. While changing the meter, tonality, rythym, etc. often is appealing, sometimes I just enjoy "tuning out" by honing in on a good, hearty guitar and drum riff.