5.05.2008

adventures in bike commuting, day 1



Apparently, $3.60/gallon is my tipping point.

Gorgeous spring weather and a quickly increasing need to diversify my cardiovascular exercise portfolio (knees and hips aren't too keen on running much these days) help, too.

Since I haven't pedaled this far (just under 12 miles, one way) in quite a while, I took it easy (just over an hour, door to door), but I'm pretty sure that time will fall if I make a habit of this. Also, I'm pretty sure I might have to start eating breakfast again...

The Durham Greenway is nice (I live south of the part that hasn't been paved in 30 years), and the American Tobacco Trail is lovely. The few blocks through downtown (Foster/Corcoran/Blackwell) between the two are a little dicey, but really not bad for an urban center. The rolling hills of Cornwallis Rd. going into RTP is by far my least favorite part, but at least the bike lane is nice and wide.

Of course, we'll see how I like it in reverse this evening...

PM UPDATE--A little tougher the second time out, naturally, but I made it in the same time (leading me to think that maybe my house is just a little lower than RTP). Caught a little rain, but it wasn't bad. Northwestbound commuters on Cornwallis, however, really need to chill out. The friendly woman on her bike offering encouragement as I slowly (very slowly) came up the hill by American Tobacco into downtown helped more than she knows.

This is definitely doable 1-2 times a week when I can afford the extra time and the weather cooperates.

Next day AM UPDATE--I am shocked by how not sore I am. The weather is supposed to nice again today, but I think I won't push my luck just yet.

4 comments:

Caroline said...

Looks fun! Are there a lot of hills?

Brian said...

It's not that bad actually...there were a couple of spots where I found myself thinking "man this is going to suck tonight" but just as many where I thought "this sucks...I can't wait to ride this going home". I don't have hard numbers but I imagine the net elevation change between home and work is pretty negligible.

But Tucson Basin flat, it ain't.

Marsosudiro said...

Awesome! Keep us posted on progress, please.

Gino said...

and in the summer time, it wont be Tucson Basin hot, either.

so, how was the return?