5.25.2008

in which i lay my political geekery bare*

*r than usual

I realize I'm one of like two dozen people watching it on CSPAN right now, but I feel pretty confident that the Libertarian convention is about 1000 times more interesting than either of the big 2 will be, regardless of your political orientation.

It just went to a fifth ballot, with Barr and Ruwart tied for the lead with 202 votes each (Gravel was eliminated in the 4th, Root is still in it.)

I have a hard time seeing Barr getting many Gravel votes, but then again I have a hard time seeing any candidate getting Gravel votes.

Speaking of Gravel, I'm glad he isn't going to be the LP nominee, but I am going to miss the guy...

UPDATE--The LP has successfully nominated a non-crazy person! I honestly didn't think this was going to happen.

7 comments:

Marsosudiro said...

I also watched for a while. Those people are downright fascinating.

Gino said...

if i knew it was going on, i would have watched.
i've watched in the past yrs, and was 'not amazed' that they actually had some discussion of what it is they are really about instead of just playing to the TV.

Brian said...

I don't think anyone plays to the tv on CSPAN.

Gino said...

actually, they do.
especially during special orders. you will see some pontificating blowhard, and the camera will inadvertently glance the house/senate floor and you will see all of maybe 10 people, most of whom are staffers.

Brian said...

OK, you're absolutely right about the House and Senate coverage. I was thinking more about all the other events CSPAN tends to cover...book readings, policy geek events, 3rd party conventions...which are the only things I ever watch on it, and look like they are shot by someone's home video camera mounted on a tripod in the corner of the room.

chris said...

Looks like he ended up with the nomination. Surprising considering how he doesn't necessarily toe the party line on all issues. Looks like the majority finally came to their senses and realized that it can be about "baby stepping" their way to a full party platform candidate.

Brian said...

I said elsewhere yesterday that libertarians basically have thre options:

1) insurrection
2) incrementalism
3) irrelevance

Yesterday the LP decided to at least attempt something other than option #3 for the first time in its history. This is a good thing.