7.10.2008

i'd like retroactive immunity for my primary vote, please

I really hoped Mr. Obama would at least get to the convention before he did something to talk me out of voting for him in November.

Oh well...that was fun while it lasted.

I'm sufficiently pissed off about this that today I think I would retroactively vote for Ms. Clinton, given the option (she voted "no" on the FISA bill)...though I also can't help but wonder how each of them would have voted were she the one making a mad dash to the middle in advance of the general election.

And herein lies the real problem. The political center in this country, if the actions of the political class are any indicator (and is there any reason to think that they aren't?) is still so irrationally afraid of terrorism that there is broad support for shredding the Bill of Rights in the name of the appearance of security.

And no politician is going to fix that. This is a cultural problem. The politics merely reflect that.

5 comments:

Gino said...

to be fair.
does anybody really know what is in these survaillaince bills?

i'm all for a certain level of watching suspicious characters, but these bills never really tell the whole story, and/or how a judge may rule on how it is used.

both sides pick one phrase of the bill nobody has read, and use it to scare their potential voters.

so, O is turning out to be just another politician with no core.
you could always elect another man like jesse helms,instead.
at least helms was a real man, with a brass pair.

Brian said...

i'm all for a certain level of watching suspicious characters, but these bills never really tell the whole story, and/or how a judge may rule on how it is used.

I view this the same way I view the whole torture issue: if the 24-style ticking time bomb scenario ever occurs in which due process actually becomes an impediment to dealing with a clear and present danger, then the responsible parties should have no trouble justifying bending or breaking the rules, and be willing to accept any consequences that flow from that.

When they want a blanket exemption from the consequences before the fact, I find it very, very difficult not to question their motives.

so, O is turning out to be just another politician with no core.

I think I've been pretty clear that this comes as no shock to me...I just thought he was slick enough to get into his first term before it was painfully obvious.

at least helms was a real man, with a brass pair.

I'll take merely unprincipled over principled evil, any day of the week.

Gino said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RW said...

I have just now had the realization that I am becoming the living embodiment of that Dylan song... people are crazy and times are strange, I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range, I used to care but... things have changed.

Yikes... seriously.

chris said...

We gladly accept your return to the real world. I was worried about you for a while there.

In your defense, the lesser of any number of evils is still evil. My only hope is that we actually end up picking the lowest on that scale.