7.11.2008

@ssholes

My next-door neighbor's back windshield was completely smashed through last night. Apparently, his wasn't the only one:

Durham police officers are investigating at least 30 reports of vandalized vehicles, which they believe happened overnight.

Vandalism was reported in the area of Monmouth Avenue, North Street and Trinity Avenue.

Car windows were shot out with BB guns and tires were slashed, according to investigators.

Police do not have any suspects.


For the record, there's no freakin' way my neighbor's car was done with a BB gun. This took repeated blows with a bat, crowbar, or similarly heavy object. Another neighbor, a few blocks up, reports the same thing on the neighborhood listserve (we are less than a mile from the neighborhood mentioned in the WRAL story.)

Which, in a way, makes the widespread and apparently random nature of the vandalism oddly comforting--this morning he and I were trying to figure out who he might have pissed off so badly. That the answer seems to be "no one in particular" is actually kind of a relief.

Things are pretty fucked up when you actually hope you're merely the victim of random criminal activity.

3 comments:

The Virgo 9 said...

I live on Monmouth and was awakened by a policeman informing me that my tire had been slashed. I've seen several others throughout the day and some windshields that were clearly NOT done with a BB gun. Who have I pissed off was my immediate thought too. You're right. It's screwed up that I feel comforted by the random nature of it. At least no one was hurt! I love this neighborhood and I refuse to let an $80 tire and some little thugs take that away from me!

Gino said...

same last weekend in my mom's 'hood.

her neighbor had every window of his toyota smashed, and all four tires knifed.

three other cars on the block : same thing.

Joseph H. Vilas said...

I've had about 4 car incidents in about 10 years. :( The first three just kept making me think "Ah, those damn stupid kids," even when one of those incidents cost me several hundred dollars, plus some damage I never had repaired. The last incident was stealing my battery, which finally creeped me out, even when it was clear they were only half-smart about it.

I moved a couple houses away, and now my car, while directly accessible from the street, is about 50 feet or more off it. I also have three dogs now who'll prolly raise hell if anyone walks on the lot.