1.18.2008

let in snow (even if it is wasted on a 3-day weekend)

Depending on who you believe, we are slated to get somewhere between 1 and 4 inches of snow tomorrow. Lows will dip to 14° F on Sunday.

I know those of you in more northern climes will scoff at this, but please remember that here in the sunbelt, there is basically no infrastructure of plows, road salting, and competent drivers in place. So this actually is kind of a big deal.

But I'm OK with that, because lately my criteria for a successful Saturday involves not cranking the car a single time.

In the meantime, [m] and I are about to sit down to the spaghetti and meatballs she's made, then we're off to view Blade Runner: The Final Cut--one of the four 35-mm prints!--down the street at the Carolina. Sunday, I will be spending the day with my Guatemalan godmother (she lives a couple of blocks over--so no driving necessary) making tamales, then eating them with the neighbors.

Life is good.

3 comments:

chris said...

Sounds better than my weekend plan. It starts off that my wife is in Las Vegas for work. Then continues with me going in for a good part of Saturday for robotics. Then basically no plan for the rest of the weekend. If the weather weren't slated to be so crappy, I'd probably crash your party. Maybe I'll get some brewing done on Sunday? Or at least around to bottling our experiment from July!

RW said...

It's officially 2 degrees here as I write at 8:19 AM Central. In 45 minutes I will hop in the MINI and zoom off to the Saturday morning chores.

As for the inability of the South to deal with even a half inch of snow, I should like to point out that that is so very true, but it is also the reason they lost the War Between the States.

The reason there seems to be a higher incident of sickness in the winter is not because of the colder weather but because people are inside more and thus allow germs a higher opportunity to spread & strike, as they (germs) cannot live in most cold weather.

However, by the way, tamales (I hear) are a great precaution against malicious interior airborne germs.

Gino said...

i read this, and then the phone rang. it was Dad.
"hey, guess whatsa happenin a here"
it's snowing.
"Howju know?"
i have my sources.

enjoy.

its a about 70 here.